Ulcerative ColitisUlcerative colitis is a type of IBD/ Inflammatory Bowel Disease. It causes chronic/ long-standing inflammation and sores in the colon.
It mainly affects the innermost lining of the colon and rectum.
Symptoms of ulcerative colitisHere are the symptoms of ulcerative colitis that usually develop gradually
- Frequent, loose stools accompanied by blood or pus
- Pain in the abdomen and cramping
- Pain in the rectum
- The urgency to defecate but unable to defecate despite urgency
- Fatigue/ tiredness
Causes of ulcerative colitisAltered immunity could be the main cause of ulcerative colitis. It can be also common in certain families. Certain type of diet and stress aggravate ulcerative colitis.
Treatment for ulcerative colitisIf left untreated, ulcerative colitis can be debilitating and lead to life-threatening complications such as
- Severe bleeding
- Increased risk of cancer
- Rapidly growing swelling in the colon
- Hole in the colon
- Increased risk of clots
Though there is no cure, the following medicines help in dealing with the symptoms of ulcerative colitis.
The most effective medicine for ulcerative colitis depends on your body type, the severity of the disease, and the area that is affected. You will need to take the drug via the mouth or as an enema or as a suppository (from the anus) depending on the area of the colon affected.
- 5-ASA/ 5-aminosalicylic acid is usually the first drug that the doctor prescribes. Sulfasalazine, mesalamine, balsalazide, and olsalazine are a few of the popular 5ASAs.
- If the colitis is moderate to severe, corticosteroids are the choice.
- To reduce the inflammation in ulcerative colitis, azathioprine and mercaptopurine are useful.
- Cyclosporine is the choice when the affected individual doesn’t respond well to the above-mentioned medicines.
- Loperamide helps treat diarrhea and Infliximab/ adalimumab/ golimumab help in dealing with altered immunity.
- Tofacitinib is a recently approved medicine for conditions such as ulcerative colitis.